“The joy of the Lord is your strength.” Nehemiah 8:10
For I will turn their mourning into joy and will comfort them and give them joy for their sorrows. Jeremiah 31:13
10 Things we can do to experience joy in the midst
1. Go to God – Psalm 94:19-20 “When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, Your consolations delight my soul.”
Psalm 43:4 “Then I will go to the alter of God to God my exceeding joy.”
2. Know God’s heart – Ian Macleron “Those who know the path to God can find it in the dark.”
3. Trust God – “When you can’t see God’s hand, trust His heart.” – Spurgeon
Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.”
4. Obey God – John 15:10-11 “If you keep My commandments, you will abid in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love. These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.”
5. Listen for God’s voice – John 3:29 “He who has the bride is the bridegroom; but the friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly because of the bridegroom’s voice. So this joy of mine has been made full.”
6. Worship God – Luke 24:52 “And they, after worshiping Him, returned to Jerusalem with great joy.”
7. Abide in the word, in God, in Christ – Jeremiah 15:16 “And Your words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart.”
8. Recognize God’s power – Luke 10:17 “The seventy returned with joy, saying, ‘Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Your name.’”
9. Think on these things – Philippians 4:8 “Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.”
10. Do what gives you joy – Psalm 37:4 God gives us the desires of our hearts. He puts His desires within us, so we should celebrate by following them!
My in-laws after 50 years of marriage.